How can instructors avoid reinforcing social stereotypes?
Episode 109: Scratched
Please Sign In or Register*
to view this video
*To protect students' privacy, you must register for a PhysPort account and prove you are an educator
University of Maryland
Sample Discussion Prompts
- What did you notice in this episode? Talk to your neighbor about what you notice.
- Claudia says, “I don’t think there’s any way you can explain to me how a massive truck is going to have the same forces on it.” She has probably heard explanations before. Why do you think she says this can’t be explained to her?
- How might Claudia’s presentation as female and Black influence someone’s perception of her? Do you see anything happening in this episode that you think might be influenced by her social identity?
- Alan presents as male and Asian. How might his apparent social identity influence someone’s perception of him? Do you see anything in this episode that you think bears this out?
- The instructor, Leo, compliments Claudia. What does he compliment her on? Why is it worth complimenting?
- Suppose you were Leo and you wanted to address Alan’s complacency, instead of Claudia’s upset. What might you say to Alan?
- What does this episode suggest instructors can do to avoid reinforcing social stereotypes?
Collections featuring this lesson
Other Lessons featuring this video