Developed by Carl Wieman and Sarah Gilbert
|Purpose||To characterize the extent of use of research-based teaching practices in undergraduate natural and social sciences "lecture" courses.|
|Format||Multiple-response, Short answer|
|Focus||Teaching (Course information provided, Supporting materials provided, In-class features and activities, Assignments, Feedback and testing, Training and guidance of TAs, Collaboration in teaching, Other)|
|Level||Upper-level, Intermediate, Intro college|
Everything you need to know about implementing the TPI in your class.
You can fill out a paper and pencil version and score it yourself, or fill out this online version, and have it automatically scored for you.
This is the third highest level of research validation, corresponding to at least 3 of the validation categories below.
Research Validation Summary
Based on Research Into:
- Student thinking
- Student interviews
- Expert review
- Appropriate statistical analysis
- At multiple institutions
- By multiple research groups
- Peer-reviewed publication
The PIPS was tested with several hundred faculty members at UBC and refined over a 6-year period. It was reviewed by experts in college science teaching, science education specialists, and Carl Wieman Science Education Initiative departmental directors. Open-ended responses to "other" categories were used to check instructors' interpretations of the questions and add options. For selected classes, observers of the classes were asked to evaluate the responses given by instructors.
- A. A. Olsen, K. A. Morbitzer, S. Zambrano, J. M. Zeeman, A. M. Persky, A. Bush, and J. E. McLaughlin, Development and implementation of a formative instructional coaching program using the Teaching Practices Inventory within a health professions program, BMC Med Educ 22 (1) 554 (2022).
- C. Wieman, A Better Way to Evaluate Undergraduate Teaching, Change: Mag. Higher Learn. 47 (1), 6 (2015).
- C. Wieman and S. Gilbert, The Teaching Practices Inventory: A New Tool for Characterizing College and University Teaching in Mathematics and Science, CBE Life. Sci. Educ. 13 (3), 552 (2014).
We don't have any translations of this assessment yet.
If you know of a translation that we don't have yet, or if you would like to translate this assessment, please contact us!
The latest version of the TPI, released in 2018, is version 3. Version 1 was released in October 2014 and version 2 was released in January 2015.