Developed by K K Mashood and Vijay A Singh Homi
|Purpose||To probe deficiencies in understanding and eliciting ill-suited reasoning pattern around rotational kinematics.|
|Focus||Mechanics Content knowledge (Part 1: rotational kinematics of a particle, Part 2: rotational kinematics of a particle in rectilinear motion, Part 3: rotational kinematics of a rigid body about a fixed axis)|
Sample questions from the RKI Part 1: Rotational Kinematics of a Particle
Sample question from RKI Part 2: Rotational Kinematics of a Particle in Rectilinear Motion:
Sample question from the RKI Part 3: Rotational Kinematics of a Rigid Body About a Fixed Axis:
This is the second highest level of research validation, corresponding to at least 5 of the validation categories below.
Research Validation Summary
Based on Research Into:
- Student thinking
- Student interviews
- Expert review
- Appropriate statistical analysis
- At multiple institutions
- By multiple research groups
- Peer-reviewed publication
The multiple-choice questions on the RKI were developed based on a content mapping, cognitive analysis and literature review. The initial RKI questions were given to 50 students and 12 teachers, who were interviewed about their responses. The questions underwent expert review and then were given to an additional 50 students, who provided written explanations for each response. The RKI was then given to over 1200 high school and introductory college physics students in two countries, and over 50 teachers. Appropriate analyses of reliability, difficulty and discrimination were conducted and reasonable values found. The developers also conducted a item response curve analysis. The RKI has been given to over 1200 students and the results published in four peer-reviewed publications and one dissertation.
- K. Mashood and V. Singh, Rotational kinematics of a particle in rectilinear motion: Perceptions and pitfalls, Am. J. Phys. 80 (8), 720 (2012).
- K. Mashood and V. Singh, Rotational kinematics of a rigid body about a fixed axis: Development and analysis of an inventory, Eur. J. Phys. 36 (4), 1 (2015).
- K. Mashood and V. Singh, An inventory on rotational kinematics of a particle: Unravelling misconceptions and pitfalls in reasoning, Eur. J. Phys. 33 (5), 1301 (2012).
PhysPort provides translations of assessments as a service to our users, but does not endorse the accuracy or validity of translations. Assessments validated for one language and culture may not be valid for other languages and cultures.
|French||Daniel Alawieh & Taan Mustafa|
If you know of a translation that we don't have yet, or if you would like to translate this assessment, please contact us!
Login or register to download the answer key and an excel scoring and analysis tool for this assessment.
Typical scores on the RKI from Mashood 2014:
Coming soon: The PhysPort Assessment Data Explorer
Start learning more from your tests.
- Get 1-click statistics
- Compare to students like yours
- Get practical, personalized recommendations
The latest version of the RKI, release in 2015, is version 1.